I haven’t been cooking much lately, but I’ve managed a bit of spinning and a bit of carding. (And I went to a Sixers game on Friday, which was fun and very much out of my usual range of activity. And great people-watching, especially the people walking down stairs on their hands and the people breakdancing outside the stadium and on the subway.)

IMG_2392
Organic merino, part of the January Spunky Club fiber. I separated the purple end for use in sampling, so it won’t contaminate the perfectly nice greens. This is about 100 yards, from what is probably ~18g. (Might be a little more, but it’s definitely lighter than the orange batt shown below, and it’s still damp.)

IMG_2385
This is a lot like the previous two pairs of blue batts, except it’s got grey bamboo mixed in–I got some sari silk from Paradise Fibers, and decided to add some bamboo to play with. It’s very soft and flyaway. I think this batt is 14g.

I was trying to card up all of the superwash merino I’d dyed for Sherie’s batts, but I could only manage one more batt before getting sick of blue. As an antidote to all those cool colors, I carded up some orange.

IMG_2390

Okay, the orange was also an excuse to use the angora I bought at Rhinebeck…which I surrounded with a little of the natural brown BFL I’ve been using, plus some superwash merino I’d dyed for a different project and some white BFL I dyed orange and yellow, and a few pinches of icicle. I think I may try to open up the angora locks a little more before I use it again, but I’m thinking that clumps of angora are more like clumps of brown sugar than of baking soda. That is, they may be noticeable in the final product, but they’re not necessarily bad.

And now I’m out of tea again and about to fall over, so I declare it to be (past) bedtime.

Advertisements